Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 84 - Last day with Lizzy :(



Wednesday – 12/28

Today, Alyssa, Kim, Nate, and I headed out to Limbe for another adventure. After meeting up with Nate, we all squished into a taxi and drove out to Limbe to enjoy some sun at the beach and see the Wildlife Center. Once we got to Limbe, Alyssa, Kim, and I took a moto to the Wildlife Center and Nate took a taxi. When we arrived at the Wildlife Center, Nate and Kim decided to hang out at the café there while Alyssa and I walked around the Wildlife Center. Although the Wildlife Center was small and limited, it had some amazing animals! Alyssa and I took lots of pictures and had a fun time just talking with each other and walking around. Once we were done with the tour, we sat down at Arne’s café with Kim and Nate and enjoyed a nice meal. This time, Alyssa and I ordered the Bunny Chow and a Mediterranean pizza and shared it. It was delicious, but I knew it would be anyway.

After a very satisfying lunch, we decided to head out to Mile 6 beach. Nate took a taxi, again, and Alyssa, Kim, and I took another moto out to Mile 6 beach. This moto ride was the scariest, but by far, the funenst moto ride yet. We were flying down the rodes and dodging the potholes and cars. It was definitely a sketchy ride and we were all glad we made it safely. Once we arrived, the moto driver offered to teach us how to drive a moto. Kim, being the most adventurous of us all, took up his offer and he took her down and back the rode leading to Mile 6 beach. After Kim’s success, Alyssa decided she would have a go for it. I decided not to do it, but by the look of Alyssa and Kim’s faces, it was worth it. 
 
Mile 6 beach was beautiful! There were very few people out there and the tide was far out. I felt that Mile 6 knew I was coming today because they played Justin Bieber about 3 times during our visit there! After taking lots of pictures and playing around, Nate and Kim went for a swim. Alyssa and I decided to get our tan on and so we spread out a beach towel and lay in the sun and talked. I’m pretty sure that at the rate of sun exposure I’ve been experiencing lately, I will soon match the color of the natives here. I’m excited.

After spending a good amount of time at Mile 6 beach, we decided to make our way back to Buea. On our way back, we stopped at Down beach, shopped at the vendors nearby, and sat down for some cold drinks. While relaxing with our drinks at a table, we noticed a vendor come up and try selling us his jewelry. We had seen him on Monday and we remembered that he wasn’t very good at bargaining with us. But we tried bargaining with him again. Alyssa and Kim ended getting “dashed” with some ankle bracelet. To get “dashed” is to give a gift without really expecting anything in return. I think that America should take up this idea. Just a thought. We also were able to “bargain” two sweet elephant necklaces and Alyssa and I decided that those would be our “bff forever” necklaces…haha.

Well, we finally made our way back to Buea. Once we returned Alyssa, Kim, and I decided to pick up the pants I had tailored with the fabric I bought. I was very pleased with my purchase and so were Alyssa and Kim. They were a perfect fit! I got some nice compliments about them. So I guess I helped the guy out with some business because Alyssa and Kim will be getting some sweet pants made by him too! After picking up my pants, I changed into them and wore them proudly on our way back to the compound. After freshening up for a little bit, we met up with Nate and decided to go get some beans and puff puffs for my last Cameroonian dinner.

Once we arrived at Clerk’s quarters, we noticed the usual lady who makes the beans and puff puffs wasn’t there. So we searched and finally after walking uphill for a little bit, we found someone making the delicious beans and puff puffs. We got our dinner and sat next to the vendor and ate our last meal together, it was definitely delicious and fulfilling. It’s amazing that a meal that costs about 40 cents could taste so good and be so satisfying! I look forward to Alyssa making these infamous puff puffs when she returns! :)

After din din, we walked around for a little bit and then decided it late and time to head back. Nate and I said our goodbyes and gave each other hugs. It’s starting to hit me that I’m actually leaving tomorrow. Anyway, once we got back to the compound, Alyssa and I hung out in the room with Kim and Sarah for a bit, then we decided to watch an episode of Grey’s Anatomy. Once the show ended, we just went straight to bed. We were pooped.

Well, today is the second to last day before my stay in Cameroon will have ended.  I’m not sure I want to leave just yet. I’ve had too much fun here with Alyssa and it has definitely gone by way to quickly! I’ll definitely miss everyone here that I’ve met and I can’t wait to see this girl àAlyssaß again! 

Lizzy compared to a gorilla.
Comparing myself to a gorilla..embarrassing.
The Wildlife Center
 

Me learning to drive a moto!
The family we met on the way back from Limbe!
I'm definitely going to miss this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment