Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 89 - Tole Tea Road


Monday, January 2, 2012

Well today I slept in and much as I possibly could, but I didn’t sleep in as much as I would have liked. I woke up around 9 or so because we were planning on leaving to Limbe around 10. I was somewhat dreading today because I am still healing from the mountain along with being sick, but I decided to go anyways.

The 6 of us girls left here around 10:30 or so and had Bill drop us off on Long Street to start our long trek to Limbe. It was an amazing walk to Limbe for the first part at least. We had a beautiful view of the Tole Tea fields. The mountain wasn’t visible, but the view of the fields, trees and everything was astounding. About 2 or 3 miles into it my hip started hurting, then my knee started paining me. After about 2 hours I honestly didn’t think I was going to make it. I may sound like a baby, but it hurt so badly and I’m usually not one to complain about that. We finally got to Mile 4 in Limbe after 3 hours of walking. What a day!

When we got to Limbe I was so ready for a nice cold drink! Andrea, Sarah and I decided to go hang out at the Wildlife Center and Mary, Tabby and Trixy went to Mile 6 beach; I had had enough sun from the walk.

When we got to the Wildlife Center we got something to drink because we were all ready for something cold! We got our drinks and then ordered some food. Our waitress knew exactly what I wanted to drink…this must mean I’ve been going there a little TOO much.  We got our food, which I feel was well deserved after about 8 miles of walking in the hot African sun. I then splurged and got another cold drink, I just couldn’t resist, I don’t get those every day. After finishing my drink it was time to head back because we were invited over to a “white” couples home for dinner.

When we got back, we took a quick shower and got ready to head to dinner. We were invited to this couples house because when we first arrived we had a patient in the clinic that had herpes zoster and we took care of him, however the man we took care of was actually this couples cook. When we arrived the couple wasn’t home, but the cook was there so she offered us drinks and gave us some snacks. The couple soon arrived back to their beautiful home.

We visited with them and then were served dinner. Dinner was absolutely amazing, the food was wonderful, not African, but it was very good. The wife offered us some of her tea with mushrooms in it, it was interesting, and definitely one of those things you would like to plug your nose while drinking. Sorry. Everything else was amazing, and all vegetarian! We stayed there until about 10 and by then we were all ready for bed. We had a wonderful visit with the couple.

The wife didn’t speak very good English, but she made it work. She was from France and he was from Germany. Their daughter was 15 that we met and their other daughter who was working in Limbe at the Wildlife Center was 14, but we did not met her. A great couple, very sweet and lots of fun, it was a wonderful evening well spent. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment