Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 15


Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wow I can’t believe it has been two weeks since I left home, the time has seemingly gone quite fast. Today was quite slow in the clinic; we did quite a few pelvic echoes however. I find them extremely interesting, in one of the patients we found what seemed to be an abscess on the ovary and another one we found a cyst on the ovary, so we sent both of them to another clinic. One of my favorites today was we got to see a baby that was 20 weeks along, we heard the heart beat, we determined the gender and Trixy explained what was being shown on the ultrasound, it was quite interesting.
Since it was slow today, we did ultrasounds on each other, that was very entertaining! We determined where the spleen was, where the bladder was, where the uterus was, where the liver was and we could even see our hearts beating, it was way cool! It was super hard for me not to laugh because it was tickling my stomach like crazy, but I just tried not to think about it so they could find what they were looking for, it was really neat. My favorite was seeing the heart beat!
Today we had another young boy with pneumonia; we listened to his lungs and as he would inhale, his lungs crackled, so Trixy asked us what should be done, so we used our knowledge and told her what we thought should be done. We were very close to what she actually wrote. It was a relaxing day, but I learned a lot!
After work all of us girls made some sweet potatoes together, we also fried some plantains, and made some popcorn. We at the popcorn while we watched the NG movie “In the Womb – Multiples”, it was really interesting. We had bible study together. Then went and finished the movie while eating more popcorn and some frozen bananas…let me tell you, AMAZING!  We then saw another patient who was just a little stressed and was having a panic attack, but she was fine, we calmed her down.
As I went to take a shower tonight, thinking I was going to get a warm shower…well I actually got no shower at all…bummer. There was not enough water pressure to take my shower, so I guess I’ll have to wake up early and take one tomorrow morning. Oh the joys of living in a foreign country…no water when you want it and usually nice and cold or some may say refreshing. For me, I still haven’t gotten used to the cold showers.

Oh and by the way, pray for Cameroon, the results from the election are being released tomorrow at 11:00 am!

A crab that we saw on a walk a while back, it was a big one...how did it get all the way over here? PC: Mary

This is the hospital, we are living on the top floor which consists of offices, but it still feels like a hospital inside and looks like it as well PC: Tabby

 And one of the banana trees, its a pretty cool picture I thought! PC: Tabby

 

No comments:

Post a Comment