Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 16

Friday, October 21, 2011



Sorry I am so behind! Well today was again quite slow in the clinic, so we had a lot of down time. I don’t remember all of the cases that we saw today, but I do remember one. Today we had a lady that came in who had passed out and appeared in the clinic at the school she attends, we did some lab work on her and found out what was going on. She was pregnant, anemic and severely dehydrated. We admitted her to the hospital. We then all decided to go up to the conference room in order to work on recording the physical, but instead I got called down to help put the IV in the lady who was dehydrated. She was so dehydrated that her veins were tiny and it was really hard to get the IV in. We tried quite a few times; we finally ended up using a butterfly, which made it a little easier. After we got it in, we started the fluids. The other nurse was in there, and the patient was not responding very well, so I ran and got the doctor. Once the doctor came the patient was responding and everything was alright, she just needed to get some sugar in her system. After we got the IV in I headed back to the hospital.

Trixy then told us to get on the table so we could do ultrasounds on each other! Haha it was so much fun! Mary went first and we got a good laugh out of it because we could see her bladder filling with water. We then watched Trixy find the spleen and the liver along with a few other things. I then eventually hopped up on the table. This time we were the ones to point out where everything was and what it was. Trixy then said that she could probably see my heart beating so she looked for it and found it! This was so cool, I didn’t know you could see your heart using the ultrasound; I was pretty amazed by it so I had Mary jump back on the table so I could find it in her. It was a fun day with all of the ultrasounds we did on each other!

After work we hung and went to the tofu demonstration. We learned how to make tofu and soy milk. We even go to taste it….even though I’m not a huge fan of tofu, it wasn’t too bad.

After the demonstration I went and hung out and got comfy, only to find out I was going to be taking care of the patient in the hospital this evening. I changed her fluids while Mary and Tabby went to the evening program at the church. When they all got back we hung out in the hospital until the next bag had to be changed. Mary and I slept in the hospital; it wasn’t too bad, minus only getting 6 hours of sleep.
 This is all of us at the tofu demonstration, along with people from the community that came to learn how to make it. It was a success, everyone liked it...I think haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment