Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 6


After 3 long days of wearing the same clothes, we finally got our bags! What a relief. However we had to drive all the way to Douala to pick them up (which is a two hour drive). When we got to the airport we had to go into the baggage claim area and talk to the claims people, which took forever because TIA (this is Africa). She then took us into the room with all of our bags which might I add; it smelt like rat piss (excuse the language). We were then hassled by a man who said the lady insisted he take our bags, but we insisted we could do it ourselves! When then drove and looked around in Douala. Thanks to Bill we went to a Mediterranean restaurant, and it was soooo good! We had pizza, hummus and an iced coffee, delicious! 
 Our vegetarian pizza which was delicious!

After eating lunch we headed back to Buea. When I got back I was anxious to open my bags, I opened my rolling bag first and then opened my duffel bag just to find that the double-bagged Gatorade had ripped open and was all over my clothes! Ugh! So I did my first load of laundry (by hand…in the shower…in my duffel bag which I used as a “washing machine”). Wasn’t the best way to obtain my luggage, but at least I’ve received it. We then went to market and purchased a bunch of stuff for our room such as food, pots, oil, bleach, soap, toilet paper and the works. When we got back we arranged our room and then went and made Koki with the Cameroonians. It wasn’t my favorite but it was really neat to watch how they made it.
Today was my first day in the hospital using needles and giving IV’s, it was quite fun and really interesting, and I seem to think I caught on quite well. I stayed up until 12 with the girls working with patients then I went and slept in Mary and Tabby’s because Mary was working in the hospital the rest of the night with Sarah helping her out. I finally called it a night.

 My unfortunate clothes washing event that I had to do since all of my clothes were covered in Gatorade powder.

1 comment: