Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 56 – Aspiration & Heart Murmur


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I woke up this morning and told myself it was going to be a good day. This morning our patient with the inflamed knee came back for a return visit. The inflammation in the knee had increased and it felt as if there was more fluid in the knee than usual. Trixy told us to aspirate the knee, she told us to grab a syringe and some iodine to clean it. Guess what, I got to do it! I cleaned the knee with the iodine swabs, then took the needle and put it into the inflamed leg. The first time I went in I got out 10cc of fluid, but I couldn’t find anymore with the first stick. We emptied out the syringe and went in at another spot. At first fluid was coming out, but I moved the needle all around in the inflamed knee and I couldn’t find any. It was awesome, I wish I could have gotten more out, but it felt amazing to be able to do the procedure.
We then had another patient come in that was complaining of fever. I did the exam on him. As I was listening to his heart, I heard something that I had never heard before. I heard the lubb-dubb, but every once in a while there would be a long pause, so I asked Trixy to listen to it, come to find out, not only did the patient have an irregular heart rate, but he also had a systolic heart murmur. Again another great experience, it felt good to catch that.
It was an interesting day from then on out. But we just pray that God will work everything out. Trixy was busy, and we were all eating lunch. Christiane came and got us because one of the patients wanted us. The guy with the heart murmur wanted to talk to us, so Mary and I went over and wrote out his impression and his plan. He was so nice and told us that he would be sure to keep us updated and be sure to come back to the clinic because he really liked us, he even told us all about his family. It was again, a great experience.
This afternoon wasn’t super busy, so we spent all afternoon cleaning out the pharmacy. We took off all of the medications from the shelves and wiped them off. Mary and I were there until about 5:30.
After work, I rinsed off because I was dirty from cleaning, made some popcorn and then went down to hang out with Trixy. We made some delicious scrambled eggs, ate some watermelon. We then watched Home Alone and relaxed and de-stressed. It was very nice. After the movie I’m going to call it a night and head to bed.
Oh yeah this morning, Mary and I tried to use our inhaler that we bought, it didn’t work out so well, but we will see, I think it might work eventually.

 This is what the knee looked like initially when he first came in, it looks a little better now, but this is similar to what I aspirated this morning, not much came out. The fluid is is little pockets and hard to find.

1 comment: